Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Deadlines!

I haven't posted much recently as so much has been going on, and I've also been a bit cautious about how much I should write due to possible contractual reasons. I'm hoping that within a few weeks I should be able to write in more detail what's been going on, but for now my main news is that I have my first true dead-lines, with books two and three now having their delivery dates set to Simon & Schuster.

After a few weeks in limbo, it's good to finally have goals to aim for, both of which are well within my reach. Really looking forward to getting stuck into the first draft once I've completed my research. I also have a date for publication of the first novel, but will share that here once the contracts are all signed and everything's in stone.

Most of what's been going on behind the scenes hasn't involved much writing, but instead to the innumerable and unforseen tasks required of me to set myself up as a full time writer. It's been a bit of a caper but when I think about it, it's only been just over a month since the manuscript went out to publishers for auction. While I'm here, I can reveal that that was the same day I was made redundant from my job of eleven years, and just two days before my partner had her twelve-week scan. As you can imagine, it was something of a 'taut' couple of weeks, but everything went fabulously well and now all's good, with Junior healthy and on the way.

Published novelist to be, dad to be... and have to be somewhere else, lunch with Luigi!

3 comments:

David Barber said...

Great stuff, Dean. Good luck with everything, especially your new baby.

Hey, a dad to be, losing your job and getting a book deal. They say things come in 3's!!

Regards, David.

Unknown said...

Interesting to read about each step of your journey - keep us posted.
Congrats re' the baby!

Dean Crawford said...

Thanks chaps - will try to add as much detail as I can in the coming weeks. Not sure what's more exciting - impending fatherhood or impending publication? Probably both! :o)